In the movie Aladdin, his friends encourage him to ‘fess up that he’s a street urchin and not the prince he pretends to be. Aladdin, worried that Princess Jasmine won’t like him, decides to continue his charade and win Princess Jasmine’s heart.
· List characteristics/ words that describe who you are as a person.
· What are some characteristics that don’t describe you that you wish did?
· Pretend you just met someone for the first time from another city or school and they know nothing about you. You really like this person and want them to like you in return. What are some examples of ways you pretend to be someone else in order to impress this person?
Watch Movie Clip- Start 54 minutes Aladdin’s friends try to convince him to tell the truth. End 54:45 Aladdin leaves on the flying carpet.
· What lies have you told others about yourself?
· What happened?
· Why weren’t you honest?
· What would have happened if you told the truth in the beginning?
· How would the consequences have been different?
· Why are lies so destructive?
· What’s the biggest lie someone has told you about themselves?
· How did you feel when you found out that it was a lie? Did you still want to be friends with this person? How did you react to the news?
· For Aladdin, Jasmine was with him in the end, despite his lies. How should Aladdin have handled this situation? What are some ways Jasmine could have responded to his lies? How do you think Jasmine should have responded to his lies?
· Would you have continued a relationship with Aladdin if you were in Jasmines shoes and knew he lied to you?
· Read Psalms 15 (from The Message)
1GOD, who gets invited to dinner at your place? How do we get on your guest list?
2"Walk straight, act right, tell the truth.
3"Don't hurt your friend, don't blame your neighbor;
4despise the despicable. "Keep your word even when it costs you,
5make an honest living, never take a bribe. "You'll never get blacklisted if you live like this."
· According to the scripture, what are the benefits of living honestly?
· How would choosing to live honestly change the world?
· How do you need to grow to live in honesty about yourself?
Read Colossians 3:9-10.
9Don't lie to one another. You're done with that old life. It's like a filthy set of ill-fitting clothes you've stripped off and put in the fire. 10Now you're dressed in a new wardrobe. Every item of your new way of life is custom-made by the Creator, with his label on it. All the old fashions are now obsolete.