(If you are doing this lesson with youth, I would suggest finding a game to play that has to do with "fear.")
Start the movie clip in chapter 5 when Nemo's classmates are trying to convince him to swim into the ocean. End when Marlin meets Dory and follows her into the ocean.
- What did Nemo's friends do or say to pressure him into going farther in to the ocean than he wanted to go?
- What misconceptions did Marlin have about Nemo's choices?
- If Marlin hadn't shown up, do you think Nemo would have swam out to "touch the butt?"
- Do you think "fear of the ocean" or "respect for his father" might have kept Nemo from swimming out to sea?
- Who was most afraid- Nemo or Marlin?
- What caused Marlin to overcome his fears and swim into the ocean?
Read the following Bible passages:
- Romans 8:14-16
- 1 John 4:16-19
Both of these passages reveal God's love to us, the power He gives through the Holy Spirit and the ability to live in freedom from fear.
- What spirit did we not receive when we became children of God?
- What spirit did we receive? What authority does that give us?
- How does 1 John 4:16-19 describe God?
- Whom does this passage say we should rely upon?
- According to the passage, why is there no fear in love?
- In what can we have confidence?
- Why do we love? Why is this important?
- What was it about Nemo that made Marlin so worried and overprotective?
- How can unhealthy fears control us?
- What can we do to live without fear?
- What did Marlin rely upon to give himself a sense of security?
- Do you think fear is healthy? Why/ why not?
- What emotions or attitudes do you think form the roots of fear?
- How does fear hurt our relationship with God? With other people?
- What can you do that will help you let go of fear and put your trust in God?
Additional "Faith and Disney" posts: