image from amazon.com
Here is the next Bible Study based on a clip from a Disney movie. Last Sunday I shared parts of a Bible Study based on The Lion King. Today we look at a lesson from Toy Story 2 on stealing. Enjoy.
In small groups, without using your bible, list the ten commandments. Now look at Deuteronomy 5:6-22 and Exodus 20:1-17. Which ones did you forget? Which are easiest for you to keep? Which are hardest?
Are the Ten Commandments listed in any particular order, like most important to least important, or are they all equally important to God? Why do you think so?
Watch Movie Clip- Start 0:15:02 “Woody, I’m slipping.” Stop 0:17:23 “Why would someone steal Woody?”
Woody accidentally falls out the window into the family’s yard sale where Al spots him. When Andy’s mom refuses to sell Woody, AL steals the cowboy doll. Buzz and the gang witness the whole thing from Andy’s room window, but they’re too late to help.
· Why do people steal? Read Ephesians 4:28 (28He who has been stealing must steal no longer, but must work, doing something useful with his own hands, that he may have something to share with those in need.) What reason for stealing is implied in this verse? What’s the connection between boredom and misbehavior?
· Are their circumstances under which you consider stealing to be acceptable? Talk about that.
· Read Luke 16:9.(9I tell you, use worldly wealth to gain friends for yourselves, so that when it is gone, you will be welcomed into eternal dwellings.) What does it mean?
· There’s a bumper sticker that reads: “He who dies with the most toys wins!” Describe how people’s lives are affected by that attitude.
· Look at Matthew 6:19-21. (19"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.) How does this passage cause you to reevaluate your perspective on owning things? How does a person “store up…treasures in heaven?”
· What nonmaterial things do people steal from each other?
· Which hurts more- loosing something material (like money, clothes, a CD) or something intangible (like the things you listed in the previous question)? Explain the reasons for your choice.