- Have you ever been the last to be picked to be on a team? How did it feel?
- Have you ever been left behind or forgotten about?
- Have you ever tried really hard to fit in with a group of people? What happened?
- Have you ever felt by yourself even though you were with a group of people?
Watch the movie clip:
“The Incredibles vs. the Omnidroid”
Time: Start at the beginning of chapter 29; end when Frozone says, “Hurt then too.”
Violet and Dash have just recently learned how to use their superpowers. Now they are ready to use their skills with the skills of the other superheroes to beat Syndrome and the Omnidroid.
Ask the group these questions:
- How did each of these characters work with the others to defeat the Omnidroid:
- Mr. Incredible
- Mrs. Incredible (Elastigirl)
- What did each of the characters do to protect or save the others?
- What did they risk?
- Which character suffered the most?
- What happened at the end when the superheroes worked together?
- What would have happened if some of the superheroes didn't help the others?
Read the scripture:
Galatians 6:2- 2 Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.
Ephesians 4:2–7 2 Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. 3 Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. 4 There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to one hope when you were called; 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism; 6 one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.
7 But to each one of us grace has been given as Christ apportioned it.
Ephesians 4:11–13 11 So Christ himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, 12 to equip his people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up 13 until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.
Have you ever wanted to be like someone else? Maybe you’ve felt that everyone else was blessed with amazing skills or talents, while you got nothing, but that is not true. God has given each of us a specific gift! You have a special place in the body of Christ. We all have a specific gift that God has given us to use so we can glorify Him. None of us have all the gifts we need to succeed; however, when we combine our gifts and use them how God meant for them to be used, we can accomplish incredible things for Him!
- Why do you think Christ taught us to carry each other’s burdens?
- Read Ephesians 4:4. What is the “body” that Paul is referring to?
- According the Ephesians passage, what is the standard for our faith?
- How are we supposed to treat each other? Why?
- What are some of the different ways God calls people to serve?
- Why do you think God calls different people to do different types of ministry?
- How did the superheroes show the concepts you read about in Galatians and Ephesians?
- How did the Incredibles help to carry one another’s burdens?
- How did the Incredibles prove that they were united?
- Think about a time when you were a part of a group that was completely unified and you were all using your God-given gifts in the right way. What happened?
- Describe a time when you helped carry a loved one’s burden.
- What gift(s) has God given you?
- How can you combine your gifts with another Christian's gifts to accomplish something great for God?
If you missed any previous "Faith and Disney" posts, you can find them here!