This post originally was written for :DISTherapy's 40 Days to 40 Years series!
The year is 1999. I've been looking forward to this year since I was in the 3rd grade in 1983- thanks to Prince and his hit song "1999!"
I was fortunate enough to visit WDW twice in 1999. My first trip was in May. Then my family traveled to Walt Disney World in 1999 to celebrate the Millennium. We stayed off property this trip because the resort had a three night minimum and we were only staying 2 nights- just long enough to ring in 2000. On December 31, 1999 our family went to Disney-MGM Studios. I honestly don't remember much about the day. I remember wearing a heavy coat and a hat, so it must have been cold! I don't actually remember riding any rides or experiencing any attractions, but I'm sure we did! :) I do remember wondering all day long if the "Y2K bug" was really going to destroy the world. At one point during the day we saw a TV that was showing the New Year Celebration in Sydney, Australia. We anxiously watched to see if the computers would blow up at midnight... they didn't. So, we were relieved and continued to enjoy our day at Disney- MGM Studios.
I wish I had pictures from these vacation, but I don't. All I could scrounge up were the guide maps for the 4 parks from May of 1999.
One night at the Contemporary during Value Season was $214-$275.
One night at Dixie Landings during Value Season was $119-$139.
One night at the All Star Movies during Value Season was $74.
River Country was still open at Fort Wilderness and a one day adult ticket to the water park was $17.95.
Some of the interesting things that happened at Walt Disney World in 1999 were:
- Horizons at Epcot officially closed
- All Star Movies Resort opens
- Test Track opens at Epcot
- The Rock 'N' Roller Coaster opens at MGM Studios
- Walt Disney World closes for the day for the first time in 28 years due to Hurricane Floyd- Animal Kingdom opened at 12:00 for Resort guests.
- The Walt Disney World Millennium Celebration opens at Epcot for 15 months
- The Tapestry of Nations Parade premiers at Epcot
- The IMAGINATION! Pavilion opens at Epcot :(
- Illuminations 2000 begins at Epcot