Making cookies for Santa is one Christmas tradition we have at our house. Last year we made gingerbread cookies from a Betty Crocker mix. This year, I think we'll attempt to make our own gingerbread cookies from scratch! I found this recipe online that supposedly comes from Disney's Grand Floridian Resort. At least this will help us get a little "taste" of Disney this season since we couldn't visit WDW! Enjoy!
Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
Makes about 36 cookies
2 sticks softened butter
2 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar, sifted
1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 2/3 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 1/4 teaspoons ground coriander
2 teaspoons ground star anise
1 teaspoon ground fennel
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground clove
1/4 teaspoon ground mace
1. Cream the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl until smooth using an electric mixer. Add the eggs and mix all until combined.
2. In a separate large bowl, sift all the remaining dry ingredients in and mix well.
3. With the mixer on low, slowly add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture until a dough forms
4. Remove dough from the bowl and wrap in plastic wrap; place in refrigerator until firm, approximately two to four hours.
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
6. Remove dough from refrigerator and allow dough to sit at room temperature until pliable. (approximately 15 minutes.)
7. Divide dough in half and place on floured work surface. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out until about 1/8 inch thick. While rolling, flour the work surface and rolling pin as needed.
8. Cut out desired cookie shapes with cookie cutters. Transfer cookies to a greased cookie sheet, placing them about 1 inch apart.
9. Bake until firm and edges begin to darken, approximately 10-14 minutes.